One of the things I like to do to kill time during the day is to check my stats on WordPress. I am able to track how many visitors and views I’ve had on a daily basis – there’s also information on where people are when reading my blog. The majority of the visitors to SnugandBee are, not surprisingly, based here in the USA. But what I find really interesting is that people from other countries have somehow happened upon my blog.
Australia is a no-brainer as I have some friends there (and I lived in Sydney once upon a time). And England – again, I know a few peeps there. Canada? Okay… I mean we share a border so I guess it makes sense. But I’ve seen traffic come in from Germany – and this morning someone from Japan happened to stumble onto my blog. But Belgium has been the big surprise. I have never been to Belgium, nor do I know anyone in Belgium. In fact the closest I’ve come to Belgium was seeing the movie In Bruges several years ago. Yet several people over the last few days have been on SnugandBee. So I’m giving a special shout out to all the cool kids in Belgium… And by the way, you make the best cookies ever:
I’ve come to realize that one of the silver linings about sheltering-in-place is having the time to catch up with people. This blog wouldn’t even exist if I hadn’t had a long talk with my friend Tom. Over the past month, I’ve finally had time to connect with friends who I hadn’t been in touch with in ages. So the theme of today’s post is communication!
Of course the challenging thing about catching up with everyone is finding things to talk about that don’t have to do with Coronavirus. My friend Rebecca and I had a long Viber video call last weekend (I’ve totally given up on Skype) and we managed to talk for a solid 10 minutes about the trainwreck that has become Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. And I promised my friend Jerry that I would share this crazy video about a guy in Tokyo who lives in Manga Kissa:
In case you are in need of things to discuss when conversing with your friends and family, here’s a list of topics to keep everyone engaged:
- What ride do you start with when going to Disneyland? (Actually there should be no debate on this – it’s Pirates of the Caribbean)
- Star Trek vs Star Wars
- Why LeBron James is the GOAT and not Michael Jordan
- The god-awful last season of Game of Thrones and will George Martin ever finish writing the last two books?
- Why See’s Candy isn’t considered an essential business?
- Best Harry Potter book/movie
- How Cate Blanchett was robbed of Best Actress for her role in Elizabeth by Gwyneth Paltrow
- Crunchy peanut butter vs smooth – which is better and why
- Who Joe Biden will choose as a running mate
- Chocolate vs Vanilla
- If you could time travel, where would you go – future or past?
- And in honor of Easter, who you would want at your “last supper” and what would you eat?
See? There are lots of things that you can talk about that have nothing to do with Coronavirus. Communication really is key right now… even if it’s just getting/sending a quick text, it makes you feel less isolated. So reach out and touch someone! But don’t actually touch anyone. See Michael – I told you all that hugging was dangerous…
I think my next post will be a virtual walking tour of Carmel, complete with pictures of homes for sale. Because there’s nothing like shopping for a multi-million dollar home while waiting for my $1,200 stimulus check to arrive!